Thursday, August 7, 2014

Movies with Dogs...The Best


Movies with Dogs...

As a fun new blog set, I have decided to review some movies that have dogs in them.  I have put them into several categories, and multiple blogs.  I will give you movies that I feel are the Best, the Worst, and a few extra Honorable Mentions that are worth a watch.

Throughout the series on my blog, I will be referencing IMDb, the International Movie Database.  If you enjoy movies or TV, this is a site you should know about.  Every movie ever made is here.  It also includes actors, TV, and the like.  Very helpful.  I'm a movie-buff, and I am often watching a movie when I think "what else do I know this actor from?"  So I whip out my phone, go to IMDb and look up the movie, or actor's name if I already know it.  It's quite a fun little rabbit hole to go down if you are in the mood.

The Best:


Bolt (2008)
IMDb Description:  "The canine star of a fictional sci-fi/action show that believes his powers are real embarks on a cross country trek to save his co-star from a threat he believes is just as real."
This is my all-time favorite dog movie.  Absolutely hilarious and adorable movie.  This is a movie you can watch over and over (and I have).  Bolt is the star of a show that he thinks is real, along with his real super powers.  Much to his surprise, he has no super powers.  It is a fun-filled adventure with Bolt the dog; and he meet a mysterious cat, and hilarious hamster along his journey.  Great adventure that's fun for audiences of any age.  
An absolute MUST WATCH!


Best in Show (2000)
IMDb Description:  "A colorful array of characters competes at a national dog show."
I actually did not see this movie until a few years after it came out.  "A colorful array of characters" is an understatement.  This movie is completely crazy but so much fun to watch.  I found myself puzzled at every turn but laughing my ass off.  This movie was highly under-rated.  Add this to your watch list today!


Lady and the Tramp (1955)
IMDb Description:  "The romantic tale of a sheltered uptown Cocker Spaniel dog and a streetwise downtown Mutt."
This is a must watch for all kids.  A great story for the whole family to watch.  This is one of my favorite Disney movies of all time.







101 Dalmatians (1996)
IMDb Description:  "A woman kidnaps puppies to kill them for their fur, but various animals then gang up against her and get their revenge in slapstick fashion."
This is, of course, a classic children's story.  I have read several versions of the book and have seen the original 1961 version of this movie.  Now there is a new movie for the next generations to enjoy.  With 99 puppies and all kinds of other dogs helping out, what dog lover wouldn't love this movie?




Cats & Dogs (2001)
IMDb Description:  "A look at the top-secret, high-tech espionage war going on between cats and dogs, which their human owners are blissfully unaware of."
This movie I randomly caught on TV after it had come out.  This is actually a pretty cute movie.  Of course the evil cats are trying to take over the world and we must be saved by our beloved dogs.  A fun-filled movie with lots of laughs.





Eight Below (2006)
IMDb Description:  "Brutal cold forces two Antarctic explorers to leave their team of sled dogs behind as they fend for their survival."
I had never seen this movie before, so I decided to rent it.  (Ha ha I get to watch a movie and call it research for work :)  Although I am not normally a fan of sad movies, this is a pretty good one.  A rather heart-breaking, but uplifting story of a team of snow dogs that got accidentally left behind.  The things this man goes through to get back to his dogs...I can relate.  My dogs are my family and I would do anything for them.  This movie is a tear-jerker, but also quite enjoyable.  This pack of dogs is well-trained and a joy to watch (and also heartbreaking to watch).


All Dogs Go To Heaven (1989)
IMDb Description:  "A dog returns from the dead looking for revenge on his killer using an orphan girl who can talk to animals."
This is one of those movies that every young child should see.  With life lessons for the whole family, this movie is a must see for all.







Cujo (1983)
IMDb Description:  "A friendly St. Bernard named "Cujo" contracts rabies and conducts a reign of terror on a small American town."
Now this obviously isn't a movie for the kids.  Suspenseful and scary, this movie will keep you on the edge of your seat, for the most part.  This movie is getting a little older now, and doesn't hold the same excitement it once did.  But this is one of those movies that can also double as a fun time to yell at the TV with your friends for the stupid things the people in the movie are doing.  That's always fun.  Just a friendly movie reminder of why it is SO IMPORTANT to get your dog's rabies shots!


Beethoven (1992)
IMDb Description:  "A slobbering St. Bernard becomes the center of attention for a loving family, but its veterinarian secretly wants to kill him."
This movie isn't really one of my personal favorites, but seems to be very popular, so I felt compelled to include it on the list.  This movie is full of silly dog antics that I'm not overly fond of, but is enjoyed by most.






Homeward Bound--The Incredible Journey (1993)
IMDb Description:  "Three pets escape from a California ranch to find their owners in San Francisco."
This is another movie that we all saw as kids.  Three pets travel against impossible odds to find their family they have lost.  A great adventure film for all audiences, this movie includes excitement and love.  A must see for all.






Stay tuned for more in this series of blogs...including "The Worst" movies with dogs, and some Honorable Mentions that are worth a watch.


No comments:

Post a Comment